Re: [ecasound] harmonics in my frequency response

From: Jeanette C. <julien@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 30 2017 - 13:50:46 EEST

Hi John,
at normal samplerate of 44.1kHz or 48kHz you will - most likely - get aliasing
close to the Nyquest frequency, i.e. 22.05kHz or 24kHz, respectively. For a
start, these aren't related to your buffer sizes. Seeing that you operate
within the box, using software synthesizers, these should take care of it. I'm
not aware of simple filters introducing aliasing. In the usual implementations
that wouldn't make any sense.

Have you tried recording your piano unprocessed and looked at that spectrum?
Maybe those dips are just natural parts of the sound. When you apply a lowpass
filter you can of course expect some sort of a dip, that's why you use it. I
can't see your screenshots, since I'm blind, so I can't judge the steepness of
the dips.

You shouldn't need to apply a filter to protect your speakers tweeters with a
decent audio input, and Pianoteqq is supposed to be very good these days. If
you hear extreme peaks, it is more likely that your speakers or your room
setup is suboptimal. Could you supply a short test recording of your piano
with and without your processing?

HTH.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
* website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound

There must be another way
Cause I believe in taking chances
But who am I to say - What a girl is to do <3
(Britney Spears)