Re: [ecasound] insufficient privileges to utilize real-time scheduling (SCHED_FIFO)

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvlists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 07 2015 - 19:53:55 EEST

Hi,

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015, Nishant Prakash wrote:

> HI, I am trying to use Ecasound on Linux system to do recording but when I run the following command:ecasound -i alsa -o somefile.wav -c
>
> I am getting this message and then it does nothing.
[...]
> (eca-chainsetup) NOTE: Real-time configuration, but insufficient privileges to utilize real-time scheduling (SCHED_FIFO). With
> ... small buffersizes, this may cause audible glitches during processing.

that's not a fatal error. The recording is ongoing despite this warning.
If you cannot hear anything in the resulting file, please check your
mixer settings.

To adjust in real-time, run "ecasound -i alsa -o null -ev -c", issue
"start" and then everytime you issue "cop-status" you get a amplitude
analysis. Adjust the mixer until "cop-status" starts showing you a signal.

For the real-time part, that depends on your distro. Most simple is to run
as root, but that is not recommended. For instance on Ubuntu, following
is the best practise:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudioPreparation#Real-Time_Support

This allows to get more reliable recording during high load, but for
casual use, not necessarily needed.

Br, Kai