Re: [ecasound] Libraries question

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvlists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 11 2015 - 13:48:18 EEST

Hi,

On Mon, 10 Aug 2015, Joel Roth wrote:

> I was suprised to see such a big difference in ecasound
> libraries found in /usr/lib (provided by Debian) and
> self-compiled into /usr/local/.

probably the main difference is that the ECI libraries are shipped as
dynamic libs as per Debian's normal policy, while by default only static
libraries are installed when built from source.

I understand the case for shipping ECI C as a shared lib, although the
amount of code shared is really small (the real functionality is in the
ecasound binary, and libecasoundc/ECI is just a call wrapper). When
building from source, default is to build all libs as static.

> Also, what controls that /usr/local/lib precedes /usr/lib
> in the search order?

This is controlled by the dynamic linker config files, e.g.
/etc/ld.so.conf* (varies a bit from distro to another).