Re: [ecasound] Using Nama (was: Re: Nama build issues (was: Re: Interactive mode, cut &) paste)

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 08 2012 - 09:10:31 EET

On Sat, Dec 08, 2012 at 12:30:10AM +0100, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello Lars!
> Yes, first create the new project, then import your wav, something like
> this:
> add my_big_track;import /pat/to/my/big.wav
> Then create the regions.
> To save your regions, in one go, try a trick like this:
> for region_1 region_2...;afx ea 100
> This adds a simple volume control at default level (no change to the audio).
> Then:
> for region_1 region_2...;cache
> this will cache every track, now that Nama sees an effect on it.

Yes, instead of mixdown to the Mixdown track (which I
had suggested) track caching freezes the effects by writing
the track effects-processed output to a file name same as
the track with an incremented index (e.g. first_song_2.wav)

> Of course, you can cache/save tracks to disk as you go along, which means,
> skip the for loop and just add the ea 100 to the current region and then just
> use cache.

> I haven't tried it with regions, but in theory you should get away with it.
> :-)

A region is just a track that has a start-point, end-point,
and can take a play-at delay parameter as well.

Nama uses Marks to define these points. There is some
question regarding whether there are situations that marks
should move with a given track. (We already have marks
moving as part of the offset-run mode.)

What would drive those concerns would be a design to break
up a track into regions, with the audio corresponding to
each newly defined region being faded out of the mother
track, something Nama doesn't do for us now.

If a fade in occurs at 00:25, does it get carried along
with a newly created region that runs from 00:23 to 00:27 ? Ack, probably
not. :-)

But there could be envelopes that we would want to move with
the region, if the user adjusts the play-at delay.

Cheers,

Joel

> Warm regards
> Julien