Re: [ecasound] Using Nama (was: Re: Nama build issues (was: Re: Interactive mode, cut &) paste)

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 08 2012 - 05:59:37 EET

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 10:33:17PM +0100, Lars Bj??rndal wrote:
> On lø., des. 01, 2012 at 07:44:20 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 11:24:16PM +0100, Lars Bj??rndal wrote:
> > > Hi, and thank you very much for all your help! Now, I've successuflly
> > > built Nama, and I can start it in text mode. I've created a project
> > > and imported a WAV file. When pressing SPACE to play, I get the
> > > following error message: "Cannot start. Engine is not configured."
> >
> [...]
>
> > First, all this assumes a working ALSA or JACK setup.
>

> Actually, I had some problems with my alsa config due new hardware.
> Now I can successfully listen to audio both from ecasound and from
> Nama.
>
> Now, my approach is to make several shorter wav files from one big
> file. Also, I'd like to adjust the volume some places in the output
> files.

> I understand that I should create a project as the first step. Should
> I then import the big wav file? And how to save the smaller ones after
> creating the regions?

Hi Lars,

Glad you've sorted out the basics of your audio system.

Suppose have a .wav recording of a classical concert you did on
your Zoom recorder, and want to break it up into individual
movements, processing each separately.

Probably the first thing to do would be to import the .wav file,

nama> create_project concert_foo
nama> add_track entire # becomes current track
nama> import_audio /some/path/to/a/wav/file.wav

Like many other Nama commands, import_audio relates to
the current track, which is "entire".

Nama will copy file.wav to $HOME/nama/concert_foo/.wav/entire.wav
(or possibly entire_1.wav) performing resampling if
necessary.

You can also do it from the shell (without resampling)

$ mv file.wav ~/nama/concert_foo/.wav/entire.wav
or
$ ln -s file.wav ~/nama/concert_foo/.wav/entire.wav

One way to work would be to deal with each movement as
one track.

First you would drop marks

(move playhead)

nama> mark first_movement_start

(move playhead)

nama> mark first_movement_end

nama> help new_region

Create a region for the current track using an auxiliary track
Parameters: <s_start_mark_name> <s_end_mark_name> [<s_region_name>]

nama> new_region first_movement_start first_movement_end first_movement

This creates a new track called "first_movement" that uses
the .wav file from "entire" but playing the portion
between the two marks.

While you work on first_movement,
you will have all other tracks set to OFF.

nama> entire mute
nama> first_movement

Add all the effects you want to first_movement
then, you can mixdown. Mixdown_1.wav will be
the result. You can rename that to first_movement.wav.

You can follow the same method for the other movements.

If you had a lot more complicated processing, you
might create a project for each movement. In that
case, use link_track command to tell Nama where
to get the audio.

Hope this helps,

Joel

--