Re: [ecasound] ecasound and PulseAudio problems

From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 02 2011 - 17:30:36 EEST

On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 12:31 +0300, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 21:20 +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> >> The commandline you posted was still wrong, it should have been:
> >> ecasound -f:16,2,44100 -i resample,22050,ghostrider.mp3 -o
> >> jack,system
> >
> > This works - ever other time I use it, and exits without playing and
> > with no error message every other time. Interesting .... I should
> > perhaps report a bug somewhere.
>
> try adding option: -G:jack,ecasound,notransport
>
> ... to the command-line. I suspect JACK transport controls are causing
> trouble in this case. In newer ecasound releases (2.8.0 and newer) this
> has been set as the default (for non-interactive use) as this has caused
> so much user confusion.

Could be. I'll try this. I should have mentioned that this doesn't
happen if I don't have the ecasound resample object in the chain, so I
kind of figured that it might be some sort of caching issue or
persistent buffering by the resample object. Maybe this is a
(mis)feature of the interaction between the resample object and jackd.
Thanks.

IMHO, it doesn't really make sense that ecasound uses the jack transport
API. It's a CLI program, and the interaction is incompletely
implemented. All you can do is "pause" the playback, which terminates
ecasound. You can't restart it. You can do this with Ctrl-C, too, with
fewer keystrokes, and faster.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Fighting against human creativity is like
FMP Computer Services |   trying to eradicate dandelions"