Re: [ecasound] Largefile support on Debian

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 01 2011 - 22:46:13 EET

Hi,

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, Joel Roth wrote:

> The package previously maintained by Junichi Uekawa is
> now under the care and feeding of the Debian Multimedia
> Group.

Ok, good to know, and a warm welcome to the new maintainers! And I must
say a _big_, _big_ thank you to Junichi (cc'ed) for maintaining ecasound
in debian for so many years (Junichi was active on this list already in
1999, so he's been helping out since the beginning).

Then about configure script stuff:

> When I run ./configure under Debian sid, the script
> fails to find largefile support.
>
> checking for largefile support (>2GB files)...
> checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
> checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... no

Is this on a 64bit system perhaps? I believe on 64bit systems,
_FILE_OFFSET_BITS has not effect, and then the above checks should be
correct.

So if this is indeed the case, then the things are working as they should,
but ecasound's configure summary is just misleading (it should say
"largefile for 32bit systems...: yes/no".

> Looks like the Ecasound packaging is in good hands. Payback
> for my limited contributions is helping ensure stable
> foundation for Nama and, incidentally, the promotional value
> of slipping Nama into Ecasound's "Suggests" list.

Thanks for passing the information, this is very interesting to hear.