[ecasound] Largefile support on Debian

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 31 2011 - 22:55:23 EET

Hi all,

When I run ./configure under Debian sid, the script
fails to find largefile support.

        checking for largefile support (>2GB files)...
        checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
        checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... no

I believe that Debian supports large file sizes, so I wonder
if anyone can help to understand the issue, and possibly
tweak ./configure to get the "right" result.

This is currently relevant in that 2.7.2 is being packaged
for Debian; this is one of the last kinks to iron out.

The package previously maintained by Junichi Uekawa is
now under the care and feeding of the Debian Multimedia
Group.

A letter from Debian package-land
=================================

Starting with creating a Debian package for Nama, I've been
(very) slowly learning about the Debian packaging process
and toolchain.

In order to test building from source, one creates a chroot
containing only the package-defined dependencies. There are
tools to create and use this environment with a couple
simple commands (and many options, as you would expect.)

With Ecasound, the work has been under git, which I find
much more familiar than svn, dominantly used by the pkg-perl
group. In pkg-perl, the awkwardness of svn is offset by
integration with PET, a website that shows arrival of new
upstream versions and links bug reports and other package
status data.

The pkg-perl group includes a number of amazingly
competent, friendly and helpful individuals. (btw git is
also supported and PET-git integration is currently a hot
topic.)

This, with an active IRC channel, and Debian/CPAN bug
tracking makes it possible to maintain Debian packages of
some 1700 perl distributions.

The Multimedia Team also appears to be competent and helpful.

Looks like the Ecasound packaging is in good hands. Payback
for my limited contributions is helping ensure stable
foundation for Nama and, incidentally, the promotional value
of slipping Nama into Ecasound's "Suggests" list.

Cheers,

Joel

--
Joel Roth