Re: [ecasound] lossless conversion broken?

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 31 2010 - 22:20:03 EET

Hi,

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010, Dan Muresan wrote:

>>      Before processing, Ecasound converts all input data to its internal
>> format (defaults to 32bit-float/44100Hz). This is not optimal if you want to
>
> Sorry to come back to this, but does this int -> float conversion also
> apply to recording directly to a file? Because for low-amplitude
> signals, that could add significant distorsion. What exactly triggers
> the conversion?

yes, ecasound always converts to 32bit float internally, even if no
processing is applied. Basicly float is used in all the internal APIs, so
it's the only way to pass buffers around in ecasound.

Idea of adding a fixed-point passthrough has crossed my mind many times,
and I'm not certainly opposed to it (especially if it's limited to cases
where input and output share the same format).