Re: [ecasound] Problem with 2.7.0

From: Pierre Lorenzon <devel@email-addr-hidden-nageoire.net>
Date: Sun Oct 18 2009 - 15:36:50 EEST

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Subject: Re: [ecasound] Problem with 2.7.0
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 13:20:47 +0300 (EEST)

> Hi,
>
> thanks for the quick reply!

  No problem I have time to test it now !

> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009, Pierre Lorenzon wrote:
>
>>> Does the same happen with:
>>>
>>> ecasound -i:file.wav -o:alsa,default
>>
>> Unfortunately yes !
>
> Hmm, could you also try:
>
> ecasound -i:file.wav -o:alsa,default -B:rt

   Same problem. Anyway even without this option there's a line
   in the output saying that rt buffuring mode is selected.

> ecasound -i:file.wav -o:alsa,default -B:nonrt

   Same problem

> ecasound -i:file.wav -o:alsa,default -b:1024 -z:nodb

   Same problem

   More precisely, the sound is not really saturated but there
   are little "clicks" at a frequency of approximately
   10hz. Moreover I have following warning with each of the
   options above :

>>> -- Warning

(audioio_alsa) Warning! Period-size differs from current client
buffersize.

>>> -- End Warning

But I have it as well with 2.6.0 and sound is corrrect.

> ... does any of these cure the problem?
>
>> I installed 2.7.0 in /opt i.e.
>> $ ./configure --prefix=/opt
> [...]
>> resource-directory = /usr/share/ecasound
>
> Hmm, again this is odd. I've tested the same thing and for
> me resource-directory is correctly set to the towards
> /opt. It's defined as:
>
> resource-directory = @pkgdatadir@
>
> ... which points in Makefile to:
>
> pkgdatadir = $(datadir)/ecasound
> datadir = ${datarootdir}
> datarootdir = ${prefix}/share
>
> ... so it definitely should match prefix.

  Surely it should ! Maybe the problem was that I did not clean
  the source directory before restarting ./configure etc. I'll
  try with untaring archive again and start with a clean
  source. Yes in this case ressource directory is correct but
  sound unfortunately still not !

>> Anyway I don't think that the problem comes from that. Indeed
>> when I first installed 2.7.0 in the root i.e.
>> $ ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc \
>> --localstatedir=/var
>> I encounter the problem as well. Moreover when I set manualy
>> the output to be alsa,default, (with the -o option,) problem
>> doesn't disappear !
>
> Agreed, I think this is something else. Thanks for checking
> these.
>
>>> How about liboil support, did you enable it ('ldd
>>> /usr/bin/ecasound' should list liboil if support is enabled)?
>>> By default it's disabled.
>>
>> Yes ! liboil is not present on my system. It was not needed
>> by 2.6.0. Should I install it ? When I run configure for
>> 2.7.0 I remember that I saw that liboil support was
>> disable. Anyway here are the outputs for ldd :
>
> No, it's not needed. Just trying to divide the problem
> space. I've now tested with liboil and without liboil, and
> doesn't seem to have any effect at least on my system.

  Regards

  Pierre