[ecasound] amplify with gain in db (was: Re: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender)

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 23 2009 - 19:51:06 EET

Hi,

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009, Klaus Schulz wrote:

> Just played with -eadb. Works great. This  Though I have some comments.
>
> 1. If I enter "positive" gain values starting at 0db. The new value
> (0db+xdb)  will be the new "0db". This is not OK. Typing again 0db will
> let me stay at the current volume setting

the same comments as apply to "-ea" apply to "-eadb" as well:
http://eca.cx/ecasound-list/2009/03/0024.html

.. i.e. if you add multiple "-eadb", they are chained sequentially in the
processing chain/pipeline. In most cases this is not what you want. So you
most probably want to use "cop-set" to modify the gain.

Using the original netcat examples:

# add a amplify-db object
echo -e "-eadb:0\r\n" | nc -w5 localhost 2868

# adjust gain to +3dB
echo -e "cop-set 1,1,3\r\n" | nc -w5 localhost 2868

# adjust gain to -3.5dB
echo -e "cop-set 1,1,-3.5\r\n" | nc -w5 localhost 2868

.. and so on. I think this is what you are looking for.

> 2. My real problem is to find out about the actual volume level, see
> below ecamonitor output after I have entered several commands:

Ecasound has a couple objects that expose level info: '-ev' and '-evp'.
The former gives a summary at the end of processing (or when you issue
"cop-status"), while latter maintains peak amplitude for each channel (can
be queried with e.g. "cop-get").

> It would be great if I would have an indicator of the absolute
> sound level somewhere, otherwise soundlevel control is
> like fishing in the dark. Above ecamonitor output lists just the commands.
> Would be great if I could read out the actual volume level in interactive mode.

One thing to note that ecasound does not modify the audio hardware mixer
settings at all, and these need to be controlled separately.