Re: [ecasound] Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 19 2009 - 23:05:34 EET

Hi,

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009, Klaus Schulz wrote:

> However. What I realized is that -ea is always referring to the latest
> absolute level. If I run -ea50 I need to run -ea200 to get back to the original
> 0db level. This works as far as I can calculate it in my head as in above
> example. ;)

passing "-ea:50" is equivalent to interactive mode commands "cop-add
-ea:50", i.e. it adds an amplify object to currently selected chain (or in
case, the only defined chain).

So if you want to just control the amplifaction, you shouldn't add more
object to the chain, but instead control the amplifaction of the first
added object. To do this, you can use "cop-set 1,1,50" (amplification to
50%), or "cop-set 1,1,200" (to 200%). As a bonus, "cop-set" is a real-time
safe command, so you won't hear any glitches in the audio stream.

> Would be nice to have an option to change volume (better in db) in a relative way
> referring to 0db reference. E.g. +/-Xdb for relative adjust , 0db to get back to
> original volume.

Agreed, adding "-eadb:vol-in-db" has been on my todo list for years.
Many/most people are much more comfortable adjusting the gains in
terms of dbs. Oh well, it's coming, sooner or later.