Re: [ecasound] static when using mpg123 in to lame out

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 19 2009 - 23:15:57 EET

Hi,

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, freem hormbleen wrote:

> Any idea why this might happen?  The input file is this:
> http://www.earnityourself.com/input.mp3
[...]
> /usr/local/bin/ecasound -i input.mp3  -o static.mp3

the endianess is wrong.

> ext-cmd-mp3-output = /usr/local/bin/lame -r -b %B -s %S -x - %f

Remove '-x' and that should fix the problem. The lame manual [1]
states the following:

--cut--
swapbytes
-x

swap bytes in the input file (and output file when using --decode).
For sorting out little endian/big endian type problems. If your
encodings sound like static, try this first.
--cut--

Of course, it's crazy that you have to do this. Ecasound knows the
endianess, so there's should be no need for guessing. But unfortunately
'lame' doesn't allow to tell this explicitly, so the end result is a
somewhat fragile situation.:( Oh well, I'll try to figure out some way to
fix the defaults. For instance "oggenc" is much nicer in this respect, as
it allows to explicitly state the endianess for the samples fed to it.

[1] http://lame.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/lame/lame/USAGE