[ecasound] Ecasound with no hardware?

From: William Goldsmith <bill@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 09 2009 - 20:15:28 EET

Hi there Ecasound wizards,

I've been using Ecasound for over 10 years now as part of a radio
automation system. I use it as a wrapper for the playback of MP3
files, executing fade-ins and fade-outs on the files. Each file
playback event launches a new instance of ecasound, so that during
song transitions -- or when DJ breaks are overlaid over the beginning
or end of a song -- two, or sometimes three, instances of ecasound
will be playing simultaneously. I use OSS sound card drivers (or
OSS's vmixer utility) to accept multiple sources and sum them for
output via a s/pdif interface.

This all works fine, but in some cases I don't export the audio at
all, but rather feed it directly to an MP3 stream encoder like ices or
sc_trans. In that case, I'm using the sound card & sound drivers
basically as a mount point & summing network. There *must* be some
way I could play back multiple files to a single output, and pipe that
output to the input of a stream encoder, without needing the audio
hardware.

Any thoughts?

thanks
-bg