Re: [ecasound] delta66, chains, and ecasound

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Mon Mar 09 2009 - 11:46:44 EET

Hello Lance!
   Unfortunitely no answer to the first question. I alwasy run my audio stuff
as root.
2. No it has nothing to do with professional and consumer. Let's see:
Your soundcard input (the microphone Jack in question) gets audio from your
microphone. Right? So what does the system:capture_1 port do: It offers you
the audio from the microphone. Still following? So for the computer software
site system:capture_1 produces sound. That's a sound_producer in my example.
Jack_connect's help sasy:
jack_connect <source> <destination>
   But back to my example: What does ecasound:in_1 do? It reads audio. It sits
there and waits for audio to come in, so ecasound can write it to disk, run it
through effects or simpl play it back for you. So it consumes the audio, that
- system:capture_1 in our example - produced. So I called it consumer. You
could imagine, that instead of system:capture_1 we could take the output of a
virtual synthesizer, like
fluidsynth:right
   or an mplayer output:
MPlayer [5392]:out_1
   It would all do the same.
   The only thing that had me confused a bit in the early beginnings was, that
for the soundcard the producers (outputs) are called "capture" and the
consumers (the inputs) are called "playback". All other JACK_clients had it
the right way round. Why? Simple if you think about it: the soundcard port
name are chosen from the outside perspective (yours as the user), and you sit
in the real world, with which the computer doesn't bother. The rest is correct
for outside and inside perspective, because, it's all inside the computer. So
you both have the same view.

3. No there's no way to put this into ecasoundrc. You could write a small
shell script like this:

#!/bin/sh
ecasound -c -a:2 -i jack_multi,system:capture_1 -o mic1.wav -a:2 -i \
jack_multi,system:capture_2 -o mic2.wav

   The jack_multi syntax was, what I was looking for last time. You could also
do:
ecasound -c -i play.wav -o jack_multi,system:playback_3,system:playback_4
   So you can decide (based on your recording format)
a) Which jack_port to connect to
b) If more then mono, which port(s) to connect to the next ecasound ins or
outs.
   Meaning, your not bound to use: system:playback_1 and system:playback_2 for
stereo anymore, but system:playback_1 and system:playback_4.
   Btw.: I just remembered an alsa-way of doing it, but still not prefferable
(at least not to me):
ecasound -f:16,12,48000 -a:in -i alsahw,2 -o loop,1 -a:2 -i
loop,1 -cymove:2,1 -f:16,1,48000 -o mic2.wav
   I don't know, how many times you should specify the -f-options and if I
placed the chmove in the correct spot. It's the way nama does it internally.

   Summeray: envy24control is just there to configure your card (volumes,
muting and routing) so we don't count it. :-)
   Besides that: Yes, your old way you have : ALSA and ecasound
   The new way you have: ALSA (invisible) JACK and ecasound.
   But ALSA will always be there, because it's your soundcard driver. JACK is
just something to be on top of a driver. It guarantees synchronous audio
(especially important, if you start using other linux audio software with
ecasound), low latency (if you set it to do so) and it has a flexible system
for connecting pieces of software and hardware. My startup command has good
settings for lowlatency. If you want to optimise ecasound's behaviour you
could include these options in a script:

#!/bin/sh
ecasound -B:rtlowlatency -b:64 -r 30 -z:mixmode,sum -c $@

   What this does: hand over all these options to ecasound and then there's the
$@, which means after that take all the other option a user gives.
   Assume this script is stored in a file called rteca . Then you would do:
tty# rteca -a:1 -i [and so on]
   It would start ecasound with your chainsetup and the lowlatency options.
   Hope that helps!
   Kindest regards
          Julien

--------