Re: [ecasound] delta66, chains, and ecasound

From: Lance <lance@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 08 2009 - 18:50:56 EET

Not long winded at all! Perfect amount of info and got
jack+ICE1712+ecasound working with 2 mics

A couple of followup questions:

1) jack seems to be set root:root so that I have to use sudo jackd ...
to start jack and hence, I also have to run ecasound via sudo ecasound.
I would prefer to run these as a user instead of sudo. How do
I change jack configuration to run as user?

2 No idea what
jack_connect sound_producer sound_consumer means. I have seen something
similar
to this in envy24 (Hardware settings, Professional vs Consumer, is it
the same thing?)

3) Since I will be using this configuration (or something similar)
whenever I run
ecasound and I am wonder if it is possible to configure all of this into the
.ecasoundrc file so that when I type:

ecasound -f:16,1,44100 -a:1 -i jack -o mic1.wav -a:2 -i jack -o mic2.wav -c

everything is ready to go. No need to type engine-launch, jack_connect
system:capture_1 ecasound:in_1 ...

Could it be as simple as?

.ecasoundrc
jackd --timeout 4500 -R -d alsa -d hw:2 -r 44100 -z shaped -p 128
engine-launch
jack_connect system:capture_1 ecasound:in_1
jack_connect system:capture_2 ecasound:in_2
jack_connect system:playback_1 ecasound:out_1
jack_connect system:playback_2 ecasound:out_2

A summary for any future reference

To get Delta66+ecasound to work one can use

ecasound -i alsa,plughw:1 -o foobar.wav (record using delta66)

but one doesn't get a lot of control over two mics without additional
configuration to a .asoundrc file in one's home directory.

This requires three programs:
envy24
alsa
ecasound

The approach we are using to get chain control with 2+ mics uses 4 programs
envy24
alsa
jack
ecasound