Re: [ecasound] Ecasound and MIDI

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 25 2009 - 22:51:50 EET

Hi,

answering to a couple of mails in one go...

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Julien Claassen wrote:

> I know that ecasound can send MIDI start and stop messages. But can it also
> receive those messages. This would be really helpful. No intermediate
> synchronisation, just do an engine launch and then wait for a MIDI start
> message and process "run the engine" until you get a MIDI stop message.

I'm afraid not. The building blocks are in place, but the current way the
MIDI code interfaces with the rest of Ecasound, is not flexible enough to
allow MIDI commands to control engine transport controls.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Julien Claassen wrote:

> Alexandre Ratchov from midish is just now considering adding jack
> transport support, which involves "translating" MTC into JACK transport
> timebase. If this project is done, would tat be of interest to you? I mean:
> Could that be taken into ecasound, just the other way around? The basic MIDI
> start/stop is there and JACK transport support is there. I've heard, that JACK
> transport timebase is not too far from MTC timing information.
> As far as I know: This might first be built into a seperate
> application, > thus being even simpler to extract.

I think the majority of the work needed is related to Ecasound internals,
so in that sense, Alexandre's code cannot be at least directly used.

OTOH, it would be interesting if some JACK application would get support
for receiving MTC device control msgs, and passing the events forward as
JACK transport changes. This would allow one to control also Ecasound (as
well as any other transport aware JACK app) with MMC messages. I would
personally prefer this over adding more MTC code to Ecasound, as
developing a robust MTC implementation requires access to a lot of MIDI
hardware, and that's something at least I don't have.