Re: [ecasound] Ecasound and MIDI

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <pedro.lopez.cabanillas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 26 2009 - 00:34:55 EET

Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> answering to a couple of mails in one go...
>
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Julien Claassen wrote:
> > I know that ecasound can send MIDI start and stop messages. But can it
> > also receive those messages. This would be really helpful. No
> > intermediate synchronisation, just do an engine launch and then wait for
> > a MIDI start message and process "run the engine" until you get a MIDI
> > stop message.
>
> I'm afraid not. The building blocks are in place, but the current way the
> MIDI code interfaces with the rest of Ecasound, is not flexible enough to
> allow MIDI commands to control engine transport controls.
>
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Julien Claassen wrote:
> > Alexandre Ratchov from midish is just now considering adding jack
> > transport support, which involves "translating" MTC into JACK transport
> > timebase. If this project is done, would tat be of interest to you? I
> > mean: Could that be taken into ecasound, just the other way around? The
> > basic MIDI start/stop is there and JACK transport support is there. I've
> > heard, that JACK transport timebase is not too far from MTC timing
> > information.
> > As far as I know: This might first be built into a seperate
> > application, > thus being even simpler to extract.
>
> I think the majority of the work needed is related to Ecasound internals,
> so in that sense, Alexandre's code cannot be at least directly used.
>
> OTOH, it would be interesting if some JACK application would get support
> for receiving MTC device control msgs, and passing the events forward as
> JACK transport changes. This would allow one to control also Ecasound (as
> well as any other transport aware JACK app) with MMC messages. I would
> personally prefer this over adding more MTC code to Ecasound, as
> developing a robust MTC implementation requires access to a lot of MIDI
> hardware, and that's something at least I don't have.

You are mixing MTC and MMC here. For simple play/stop/rewind transport
controls, you only need to understand MMC protocol. And there is already a
program that translates MMC into Jack transport:

http://jackctlmmc.sourceforge.net/

It is not very complete, lacking commands like record or pause, but I think it
has the functionality requested by Julien.

OTOH, MTC means "MIDI time code", and it is used in synchronization. I doubt
that could exist a jack transport client implementation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_Machine_Control
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_timecode

Regards,
Pedro