Re: [ecasound] Recording and monitoring

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 25 2008 - 23:41:51 EET

Hi,

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Pierre Lorenzon wrote:

> Sorry if this question was already answered many times on the
> list and simply tell me where is a good hint if necessary.
>
> I would like to monitor what I am recording with
> ecasound. Hence I used following command :

the best way is to enable analog loopback (aka HW monitoring) from
alsamixer (this is supported by most soundcards). This way you hear what
is being recorded with almost zero delay.

For instance on many consumer sound devices, you need to unmute the "Line"
control in "Playback" section of alsamixer. On my M-Audio Delta44, I need
to set HW outputs to "Digital Mixer" (also in "Playback" section of
alsamixer).

To verify whether you have the right mixer settings (for hw monitoring),
you should hear the live input played back on the outputs even though
ecasound is not running.

> ecasound -c -a:1,2 -i alsa \
> -a:1 -o alsa -a:2 -o file.wav
>
> But it doesn't work : the sound "splits".

That should work though. There will be some more delay than with
hw-monitoring, but it should work. What do you exactly mean by sound
"splitting"...?