Re: [ecasound] Recording and monitoring

From: Pierre Lorenzon <devel@email-addr-hidden-nageoire.net>
Date: Wed Nov 26 2008 - 12:07:24 EET

Hi,

Julien second solution works.

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Subject: Re: [ecasound] Recording and monitoring
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 23:41:51 +0200 (EET)

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Pierre Lorenzon wrote:
>
> > Sorry if this question was already answered many times on the
> > list and simply tell me where is a good hint if necessary.
> >
> > I would like to monitor what I am recording with
> > ecasound. Hence I used following command :
>
> the best way is to enable analog loopback (aka HW monitoring) from
> alsamixer (this is supported by most soundcards). This way you hear what
> is being recorded with almost zero delay.

  Not clear to waht it corresponds on my card. I have an
  onboard chip essentially intel ich9.

> For instance on many consumer sound devices, you need to unmute the "Line"
> control in "Playback" section of alsamixer. On my M-Audio
> Delta44, I need

  Hum, if I enable the line playback I am not sure that what I
  hear is waht is actually captured. In fact when modifying
  capture volume it does not change anything in what I
  hear. That's why I whanted to use ecasound to monitor
  actually what is being recorded.

> to set HW outputs to "Digital Mixer" (also in "Playback" section of
> alsamixer).

  Hum I don't see to waht it corresponds on my own chip.

> To verify whether you have the right mixer settings (for hw monitoring),
> you should hear the live input played back on the outputs even though
> ecasound is not running.
  Yep but line playback is not capture playback in my opinion.

> > ecasound -c -a:1,2 -i alsa \
> > -a:1 -o alsa -a:2 -o file.wav
> >
> > But it doesn't work : the sound "splits".
>
> That should work though. There will be some more delay than with
> hw-monitoring, but it should work. What do you exactly mean by sound
> "splitting"...?

  I mean taht I can hear small sequences of sound of half a
  second separated by blanks ! As if playback were continuously
  interrupted. When using a loop as recommanded by Julien this
  problem does not occur any longer.

  Regards

  Pierre