[ecasound] Compiling Ecasound for amd64

From: <bolangi@email-addr-hidden-nac-project.org>
Date: Tue Nov 25 2008 - 21:12:42 EET

Hi Readers,

In attempting to compile Audio::Ecasound, the Perl interface
to Ecasound for AMD64, I get the following error message:

$ make
rm -f blib/arch/auto/Audio/Ecasound/Ecasound.so
cc -shared -O2 -g -L/usr/local/lib Ecasound.o -o blib/arch/auto/Audio/Ecasound/Ecasound.so \
           -lecasoundc \

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecasoundc.a(ecasoundc_sa.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libecasoundc.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [blib/arch/auto/Audio/Ecasound/Ecasound.so] Error 1

I found a reference to this issue. Libraries for use under AMD64
need to be PIC-enabled (PIC = position independent code).

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/index.xml?part=1&chap=3

I recompiled Ecasound adding -fPIC to CXXFLAGS in the Makefile,
then make install. I deleted other copies of libecasound from
my system. Set ld.so.conf to include the right directories.
Come back to try make'ing Audio::Ecasound.

Same error.

Audio::Ecasound's Makefile has a line

   CCCDLFLAGS = -fPIC

Will appreciate any suggestions.