Re: [ecasound] Recording and monitoring

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Tue Nov 25 2008 - 12:01:16 EET

Hi!
   You have at least two alternatives, that I can see.
1. Use JACK, makes a lot of things easier:
jack_connect system:capture_1 system:playback_1
jack_connect system:capture_2 system:playback_2
# your souncard inputs are connected to your outputs, that's the monitor.
ecasound -c -a:1 -i jack -o out.wav
ecasound ('h' for help)> engine-launch
jack_connect system:capture_1 ecasound:in_1
jack_connect system:capture_2 ecasound:in_2
   Now just start recording. The same goes for softsynths, just exchange your
system:capture_N to the corresponding port of your softsynth (fluidsynth,
LinuxSampler, aeolus, etc. etc.)

2. Use loop devices: Not 100% sure, but 99%:
ecasound -a:1 -i alsa -o loop,1 -a:2 -i loop,1 -o alsa -a:3 -i loop,1 -o
file.wav
   About your alsa IO see the ecasound manual, there you find a bit about ALSA
device naming with ecasound. Also have a look at the alsa-wiki at
alsa-project.org.
   HTH.
   Kindest regards
           Julien