[ecasound] trimming silce from within an audio stream

From: <jhall@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 21 2008 - 21:38:40 EEST

Hello,

I think the answer to this is no, but I'll ask it anyway.

I have an audio stream which contains mostly silence, but from
time-to-time some activity may occur. I want something similar to the
-enm noise gate where I can set the threshold for when the gate opens
and when it closes, and then when the gate is closed, instead of
outputting silence, I want it to output nothing at all, so that if one
were to listen to the audio again, he would not need to wait during
the silence for the next discussion, for example:

If this were a passive monitoring device, I would only want something
to show up in the output file if the threshold had been reached, and
then if the "interesting" traffic subsided instead of outputting
silence (gate is closed) it would output nothing. Later on, I could
go review the output to see if any "interesting" traffic was seen. I
might not care exactly what time it happened, I might instead only
care about if it happened.

I suppose it would really be cool if it could announce in the output
the time the next block of "interesting" traffic occurs. Then I know
what happened as well as when it happened.

HEY! how about integrating it into a .ewf format or something, that
way a program could analyze the output and create its own synthetic
voice, concatinate the sound fragments and then produce a cohesive
output stream. I suppose I might be able to use the -ge effect,
right? but I don't want to have to reconnect to the stream every time
there is some activity, that could get REAL annoying.