Re: [ecasound] direction for a live/improv audio environment

From: David O'Toole <dto@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 22 2007 - 19:57:17 EEST

Hello,

I have some notes at http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/EcaSpace.html
and http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/Ligeti.html

There is heavy refactoring going on, and I am pushing forward with
these projects.

I am using ecaspace.el to define the album's structure as lisp data,
and ecasound is called to render a full .wav by piecing
together/crossfading all the individual song fragments. However
ecasound is not designed for sequencing audio files in this way, and
indeed when I got to 15-18 tracks in the list, ecasound started crashing and
so I have completely stopped with this approach. I am writing it again in
Csound, and I'm not sure if I will use ecasound much in the future.

010 010 <offonoffoffonoff@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> hey,
>
> I've been reading about ecasound/super ecasound and lisp trying to get some
> orientation on the idea i want to see realized. I've tried searching this
> out in forums but its hard to choose descriptive search terms and I've found
> little on the topic. I'm sure progress and perhaps completion has been
> achieved somewhere already, but i dont know where, and I'd like to find and
> participate in a project towards this end:
>
> An real time environment where basic music processes are ordered ahead of
> time in a file and are manipulated in a live environment.
>
> for instance, I write out that in this session i want to record four
> measures at a certain bpm, loop that, then cut out the second and fouth
> measures of that and loop the truncated version, stop looping and send live
> input through a process calling a pure-data algroithim (a max/msp type
> programming environment for linux, check it out if you dont know about it),
> loop only the first measure and record a measure from the live input and
> loop both of those, and so on.
>
> then in a live situation, pressing a button or someother user stimulus
> executes the next event, so that one could play over the loop for an
> undertermined period of time before starting the truncated loop, and then
> press a different button to skip over the next event and another to back up
> and re-record a botched take.
>
> It makes sense to me to take advantage of all the great comand line
> applications such as ecasound, jack, pd, etc and control them with either a
> scripting language or lisp.
>
> sound familiar to anyone? ;)
>
> -010 010

David O'Toole