Re: [ecasound] FutureEcaSound: automating my workflow with Lisp

From: plutek <plutek@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 24 2007 - 04:46:15 EET

On 01/23/2007 09:10:42 PM, David O'Toole wrote:

> Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>
> > First, I'm amazed at the generality of what you are
> > planning. Is that typical of the 'lisp mentality'??
> > (Maybe it's time for me to learn lisp!)
>
> Yes, the lisp mentality---mega abstraction!

greetings!

i've been following this thread, and reading your website, david, with
much interest. the manner of dealing with sound, and all the attendant
processes, which you describe is exceedingly appealing to me.

i am in the midst of learning scheme, chosen because of my interest in
working with lilypond, snd, and fluxus. this all leaves me wondering
whether i might be better spending my time with lisp, the parent
language.

david, if you wouldn't mind, could you tell me whether you are actually
working strictly in lisp for most things, or are using some dialect
like scheme? i'm looking to maximize the general applicability of
whatever i learn, for various audio- and video-related processes,
ideally in a realtime context.

as an aside, i'm also quite interested in ChucK, which has an entirely
different syntax and mindset. perhaps i should be investing my time in
CLM instead, but it doesn't seem to have the same sort of realtime
capability and on-the-fly expressivity, right?

sorry i'm dragging this thread off its rails...... please forgive!

.pltk.