Re: [ecasound] FutureEcaSound: automating my workflow with Lisp

From: David O'Toole <dto@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 24 2007 - 05:48:12 EET

Hi there.

I am using Emacs Lisp for most of the projects. With a compatibility
layer it can be made to approximate Common Lisp (just no CLOS). You
can do a lot with Emacs Lisp. (see
http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/RogueLike.html for an example

I wouldn't abandon Scheme if I were you. It is probably your best
chance at doing cool stuff with Snd. The bleeding-edge new Snd stuff
does realtime interactive CLM (Common Lisp Music.) Which is what I was
trying to get into when I did this:
http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/ClFrame.html

The realtime Snd stuff is here:

 http://www.notam02.no/arkiv/src/snd/
 http://www.notam02.no/arkiv/doc/snd-rt/

But also look into Common Lisp and especially Emacs Lisp.

plutek <plutek@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> On 01/23/2007 09:10:42 PM, David O'Toole wrote:
>>
>> Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>>
>> > First, I'm amazed at the generality of what you are
>> > planning. Is that typical of the 'lisp mentality'??
>> > (Maybe it's time for me to learn lisp!)
>>
>> Yes, the lisp mentality---mega abstraction!
>
> greetings!
>
> i've been following this thread, and reading your website, david, with
> much interest. the manner of dealing with sound, and all the attendant
> processes, which you describe is exceedingly appealing to me.
>
> i am in the midst of learning scheme, chosen because of my interest in
> working with lilypond, snd, and fluxus. this all leaves me wondering
> whether i might be better spending my time with lisp, the parent
> language.
>
> david, if you wouldn't mind, could you tell me whether you are actually
> working strictly in lisp for most things, or are using some dialect
> like scheme? i'm looking to maximize the general applicability of
> whatever i learn, for various audio- and video-related processes,
> ideally in a realtime context.
>
> as an aside, i'm also quite interested in ChucK, which has an entirely
> different syntax and mindset. perhaps i should be investing my time in
> CLM instead, but it doesn't seem to have the same sort of realtime
> capability and on-the-fly expressivity, right?
>
> sorry i'm dragging this thread off its rails...... please forgive!
>

> .pltk.

David O'Toole
dto@email-addr-hidden
http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/