Re: [ecasound] recording from jack

From: Jure Pečar <pegasus@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 20 2006 - 13:52:32 EEST

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:19:07 +0100
John Rigg <eca@email-addr-hidden-man.co.uk> wrote:

> How are you synchronizing the word clocks on your two cards? I had
> similar problems with my two Delta 1010s until I discovered that
> the word clock input `locked' indicator in envy24control was working
> the wrong way around. It's since been fixed, but I know there was
> still an issue with the 1010LT (also fixed AFAIK). If you are
> using S/PDIF instead of word clock input to sync the cards the only
> indication that they are synchronized is that jackd runs properly.
> If you have a bad S/PDIF connection you'll get a slew of xruns
> scrolling off the screen (or the watchdog timer will kill jackd if
> using -R).

Alsa 1.0.11 came out just yesterday :)
So I took fresh envy24control ... I did read about clock
synchronization between cards but forgot about it since I'll have
independant channels and have no need for them to be in sync. But if
this sync is alsa/jackd requirement then things are different ...

I connected spdif in/out between cards but didn't manage to have jackd
run, no matter what I set in evny24control. Then I tried to run both
cards set to their internal clock and jackd started working. Next I'm
going to do some tests to see (well, hear) what I get on the disk and
tie up everything with a bunch of scripts. I already discovered that
dual 3ghz xeon chokes with jackd + 16x ecasound + 16x lame :)

Thanks for all your help.

--
Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org