Re: [ecasound] recording from jack

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 04 2006 - 09:20:22 EEST

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Tommi Sakari Uimonen wrote:

> Hi. I tried to record from jack, but I could not figure out how to make the
> connections so that they would exist before transport starts rolling.
>
> If I start with interactive mode, ecasound does not show up as jack client
> until I start engine and I guess there is no way to make the connections from
> iam before I start rolling. Or is it possible to make the ports before engine
> starts?
[...]
> Unfortunately users guide "6.2.3 Use with JACK" still remains in "to be
> written..".

Hmm, that's "Ecasignal with JACK", there's lots of stuff about JACK in the
"7.6 JACK Server" section. See

http://eca.cx/ecasound/Documentation/users_guide/html_uguide/users_guide.html#htoc50

See especially 7.6.3 which describes how to solve this specific problem
(start ecasound in transport-slave mode, and start with "engine-launch").

> Is it so that ecasound only creates the input ports and does not handle the
> connections? So I have to use other programs to make the actual connections
> between ports?

Ecasound provides different types of JACK audio objects, "jack" and
"jack_generic" do not autoconnect, while "jack_auto" and "jack_alsa" do.
The connections are done when the engine is launched ("start",
"engine-launch").

--
  links, my public keys, etc at http://eca.cx/kv