Re: [ecasound] Seeing compression amount of LADSPA compressor?

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 00:51:59 EEST

Quick follow-up to my previous reply...

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> The LADSPA compressors do not export any "current level" output parameters,
> so you cannot monitor those, but you can monitor the audio level.
>
> Try the following:
>
> sh> ecasound -i foo.mp3 -o rtnull -evp -c
> ecasound> start

... it is of course possible to use any of the JACK applications for
monitoring the audio levels: meterbridge, bitscope, jamin, jack-meter,
ecamegapedal, and even ecasignalview.

So you'd have one JACK node doing the compression (maybe ecasound), and
then one or more JACK client nodes monitoring the signal level.

> sh> ecasound -i foo.mp3 -o rtnull -evp -el:sc4,3,3,3,3,3,3 -c

So this would be instead:

sh> ecasound -i jack -o jack -el:sc4,3,3,3,3,3,3

>> ecamegapedal do this? And, if I use ecamegapedal for the gui, is it still
>> possible to easily assign midi controls or use the api to control
>> parameters?
> With ecamegapedal, you cannot use MIDI controls, unfortunately.

But with JACK routing, you can use ecasound to do the compressing (and
allow MIDI control of compression parameters), and still use ecamegapedal
(or some other JACK app) for signal monitoring:

ecamegapedal jack null

... you need to of course connect the nodes with jack_connect, qjackctl or
some other JACK connection management tool.