Re: [ecasound] Ecasound 2.3.5 released

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 01:16:01 EEST

Hello again,

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> Actually, as you point out, I'm not quite sure about older automaken.
> If you don't mind breaking old automake versions, and if your tests
> sound positive with the automake 1.8/1.9 or whatever version you are
> using, that should be okay with me.

oh well, I guess it's about time to drop support for the ancient 1.4/1.5
automake. This in any case affects only the CVS users.

>> Hmm, that's true. So should it be possible to do:
>> make install pkgdatadir=/usr/foo/share-ecasound
> It's not a recommended way to do it, but some people do
> make install PREFIX=tmp/usr
> which will break.
> I would always use DESTDIR in that case; but who knows...

Redefining prefix, datadir, etc at make time really is asking for trouble
(make uninstall then only works if you redefine all the same variables).
DESTDIR is a bit different, and has well-defined semantics (used for
staging-installs) and is well-supported in Ecasound.

But, but, current CVS now supports also these risky use-cases. :)

> I would just document the assumption somewhere and drop that support
> if it's a pain to maintain.

Done, see INSTALL file and section on "Supported automake/autoconf
features". Let me know if you can spot any obvious errors.

> You should let automake do the work for you, and not you work
> for automake :)

One can always dream! :)