Re: [ecasound] OSS vs ALSA for Andrew Morton's low-latency patches

From: Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 01:28:41 EET

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 05:06:33PM -0600, Kito wrote:
> As i mentioned above, I would suggest utilizing the arch profiles
> instead of adding ebuilds, not sure you'd need a seperate bootstrap.sh
> either, as most things can be handled through the profiles.

Sounds good.
We'd only need ebuilds for things that aren't already in portage,
and those should get contributed back to the core gentoo
repository anyway.

btw, gentoo is already pretty darn good for audio.
On x86 you already get a lowlatency kernel by default :-)
The kernel I've been running is gentoo-sources 2.4.28-r5.
It comes with the lowlatency and preemptible patches already
applied. I ran latencytest the other day and got excellent results,
except from the X stress test which I suspect is something to
do w my vid card config.

The only real complaint I've had with gentoo is that
it lags behind a bit in updating some of my favorite
audio apps. So, some I either install from source or
if there's a decent version masked by being "unstable", I just
do: ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge foo

Some of the great goodies I've got:

media-sound/alsa-utils
media-plugins/swh-plugins