Re: [ecasound] OSS vs ALSA for Andrew Morton's low-latency patches

From: Kito <kito@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 01:06:33 EET

On Feb 15, 2005, at 4:15 PM, Kamil Wencel wrote:

> Hi ecasounders,
>
> while having a quick glance over CCRMA I was reluctant not to have
> that kind of option for gentoo.
> that inspired the following idea : same concept as CCRMA ( absolute
> audio / latency focus )
> but gentoo linux based. some kind of slightly altered gentoo mini
> distribution with modified
> bootstrap / ebuild scripts which take care of a consistent audiophile
> linux distribution.

I've thought about this many times indeed...I'm currently doing
preliminary work on getting a profile for Mac OS X in the portage tree
specifically for DAWs. Once thats finished, I had planned on doing the
same for Gentoo/ppc(I dont use any x86 machines for audio myself).

> would someone be interested in the idea of launching a gentoo portage
> tree based linux
> distro with strong audio focus ?

I'm not sure forking the whole tree would be a good idea, or if its
even needed. You would lose the advantage of the existing Gentoo
infrastructure and dev teams. Alot can be done just through the portage
arch 'profiles', i.e. defining a base set of system packages, etc. The
only reason I could see for forking the entire tree would be if you
wanted to create a binary based distro.

> it shouldn't be too hard to realize. we could create the
> bootstrap script, an audiosystem ebuild script according to CCRMA and
> put both
> on some webspace.

As i mentioned above, I would suggest utilizing the arch profiles
instead of adding ebuilds, not sure you'd need a seperate bootstrap.sh
either, as most things can be handled through the profiles.

> we would have all gentoo portage benefits combined with an already
> approved bunch of applications. All freshly build from stage one. No
> overhead, nothing
> superfluous.
>
> what do you think ?

I'm very glad you are thinking about this, as I tend to look at Gentoo
as more of a platform than a distro targeted at end users...lets face
it, the huge amount of variables and flexibility can be quite
overwhelming to alot of users. Feel free to send an email to
sound@email-addr-hidden if you'd like some more feedback from the community.

Regards,

Kito