Re: [ecasound] Issue with mixing of the files

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 11:41:14 EET

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Hemant Joshi wrote:

> I have a number of files f1 .. fn and I just want to concatenate them
> one after another (in time, non-overlapping). I did that by writing the
> .ewf file for each of the .wav files. Each of those .ewf file have
> offset set such that they come one after another in time. As a result I
> get the output file that is a concatenation of all the f1 ... fn. This
> is what I want but when I read it back in my audio processing tool I see
> that the amplitude of the concatenated output file is reduced
> significantly. Initially all the component files f1 ... fn were
> normalized to -6 dB. Please tell me some way to have the output file
> from ecasound also normalized to -6dB.

Yes, this is one feature of ecasound, mixing is done by sum+divide,
so if the mixed channels do not overlap, overall amplitude will be
lower. There are two ways to work around this problem:

1) add -ea:200 to each input chain (does not lose any precision)
2) in the last 2.3.6 snapshots there is a new -z:mixmode,sum
   option will changes the mixing behaviour to sum-only