Re: [ecasound] Java ECI implementation?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Java ECI implementation?
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 00:37:58 EEST

Resent to the list in case others are interested in JavaECI.

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Edward Barrow wrote:

> Anyway, I would like there to be a Java implementation of the Ecasound Control
> Interface and as there isn't one I am considering writing one. First
> impressions are that it shouldn't be too difficult, but I am definitely only
> a Java programmer and an amateur one at that.

This is definitely a welcome idea. At the same time I have to warn you
that I'm personally pretty much tied to other tasks at the moment, so I
can only offer limited support in getting the project going. Anyways, the
existing ECI implementations for other languages should provide a good
starting point.

> I know Java wouldn't be most people's first choice for audio apps as the VM
> overhead adds to latency, and ecasound being only a nix beast there's no
> cross-platform opportunity which usually gives Java a trump card.

Actually the VM-overhead is not a problem in this case. The ECI interface
is designed so that all RT-sensitive parts are run in the ecasound engine.
Client apps just use the ECI interface to interact with the realtime
engine.