multitracking

Subject: multitracking
From: Uwe Jochum (uwe.jochum_AT_uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 09:48:57 EEST

Dear list,

I am using ecasound for a year or so, without any problems, and I like
the software very much. Last weekend I did the usual

ecasound -c -b:256 -a:1 -i somefile.wav -o /dev/dsp -a:2 -i /dev/dsp
-o vocals.wav

to record some vocals while monitoring the somefile.wav-file. Well,
the result was strange: the new file vocals.wav had recorded
somefile.wav PLUS vocals.wav, i.e. there was no multitracking... What
puzzles me is that it all worked well during the previews months and I
didn't alter neither the hardware nor the software of my system (of
course I made some upgrades to other softare packages, but I can't
remember to have altered ecasound).

I tried the above chain with the -z-switch, i.e. I added -z:multitrack
to the chain to force multitracking, but it didn't work. I removed
ecasound and installed it again, same result: no multitracking. The
status report (in interactiv mode "st") pertinaciously says:
"multitracking: disabled".

I am almost sure that it is me who makes a mistake, not the software,
but I can't track it down. Any idea?

I am using a Linux Debian system with ecasound 2.0.4-12 (testing
branch of Debian).

Uwe