Re: [ecasound] Pitch shifter (-ei) broken with JACK output?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Pitch shifter (-ei) broken with JACK output?
From: janne halttunen (janne_AT_fbn.homeip.net)
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 12:59:08 EEST

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:58:51 +0300 (EEST)
Kai Vehmanen <kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Mario Lang wrote:
>
> > I just found out about this, and now I am wondering if this is
> > perhaps a well known problem after all?
>
> Yep, this is a known issue. From ecasound/BUGS:
>
> --cut--
> [ Known Bugs and Features ]
>
> - pitch shifter (-ei) doesn't work with all real-time audio object
> types (for instance JACK)
> --cut--
>
> > I guess this is related to the fact that JACK requests a fixed amount
> > of frames.
>
> Yes, this type of effect simply cannot work with JACK. You could try the
> LADSPA pitchshifter plugins instead (check for example swh-plugins).

Yes, this has been discussed couple of times earlier. It seems that it would require quite big changes to the engine to have (-ei) pitchshifter to work correctly. However seem to recall that it used to work with alsa audio-object at some point?

The name is quite misleading, since it's (-ei) not shifting just pitch, but speed also. So to distinguish it with these LADSPA pitchshifters, would renaming be appropriate? Maybe timeshifter, time-expander, or pitch..

As to frontends, disbaling it with all realtime-objects for now, would serve purpose of not confusing users.

janne