Re: [ecasound] multitracking

Subject: Re: [ecasound] multitracking
From: Jan Weil (jawebada_AT_mailbox.tu-berlin.de)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 11:59:19 EEST

Hi Uwe,

On Tue Jun 22 08:48:57 2004 Uwe Jochum wrote:
> I am using ecasound for a year or so, without any problems, and I like
> the software very much. Last weekend I did the usual
>
> ecasound -c -b:256 -a:1 -i somefile.wav -o /dev/dsp -a:2 -i /dev/dsp
> -o vocals.wav
>
> to record some vocals while monitoring the somefile.wav-file. Well,
> the result was strange: the new file vocals.wav had recorded
> somefile.wav PLUS vocals.wav, i.e. there was no multitracking... What
> puzzles me is that it all worked well during the previews months and I
> didn't alter neither the hardware nor the software of my system (of
> course I made some upgrades to other softare packages, but I can't
> remember to have altered ecasound).
>
> I tried the above chain with the -z-switch, i.e. I added -z:multitrack
> to the chain to force multitracking, but it didn't work. I removed
> ecasound and installed it again, same result: no multitracking. The
> status report (in interactiv mode "st") pertinaciously says:
> "multitracking: disabled".
>
> I am almost sure that it is me who makes a mistake, not the software,
> but I can't track it down. Any idea?
>
> I am using a Linux Debian system with ecasound 2.0.4-12 (testing
> branch of Debian).

there were updates of alsa-base and alsa-utils in Debian recently.
Are you using ALSA with OSS emulation?
Which soundcard?
Take a look at the changelogs in /usr/share/doc/alsa-*.
Maybe you have to change one of the hardware settings with alsamixer?
Contact alsa-devel_AT_lists.sourceforge.net

I don't think that your problem is related to Ecasound itself.

HTH

Jan

--
Jan Weil