edi-40 added; improving errors and warnings ;)

Subject: edi-40 added; improving errors and warnings ;)
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 01:41:36 EEST

The TODO list for 2.3.x series includes...

  "- better handling and reporting of errors when parsing chainsetups"

... but so far nothing much has happened. To make the goals a bit more
concrete, I assigned 'edi-40' for this issue:

(edi-40): Update to error and warning reporting mechanisms.
         - submitted: kaiv, 13.05.2004

Details:

- rationale; why should this item be implemented?
    - in many cases, ecasound does not give a user-understandable
      explanation on why the requested operation failed
    - distinction between errors and warnings is not clear in many
      places

- list of goals/requirements that should be reached
    - better error reporting for key places:
        - ...when adding user-visible objects
        - ...when connecting a chainsetup
        - ...when issuing EIAM commands

... I'll update this if and when I get something done. The latest
version of the document can be found at:

  http://cvs.seul.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb-1.80.cgi/sound/ecasound/Documentation/edi-40.txt

---