Re: [ecasound] question about recording with ecasound

Subject: Re: [ecasound] question about recording with ecasound
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 13:41:04 EET

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Tommi Sakari Uimonen wrote:

>> I have just changed to the alsa sound drivers. I am wondering what this
>> "alsahw,1,0" means. How would the recording for ecasound look for a
> alsahw:1,0 to be correct?

Yes, it's also valid. Ecasound supports quite a few different ways to
access ALSA devices. These are present mostly for backwards compability.
For example, back in 0.5.x times, ALSA did not even have a concept of
named PCM devices.

> alsa,hw:x,y where x is card number (fot how many cards you have; see

The following pairs are equivalent:

ecasound -i foo.wav -o alsa,hw:x,y
ecasound -i foo.wav -o alsahw,x,y

ecasound -i foo.wav -o alsa,plughw:x,y
ecasound -i foo.wav -o alsaplugin,x,y

ecasound -i foo.wav -o alsa
ecasound -i foo.wav -o alsa,default

... in most cases "-o alsa" is sufficient. With a out-of-the-box ALSA
setup, it will write audio to the first soundcard in the system.