Re: [ecasound] overruns in a multitrack project

Subject: Re: [ecasound] overruns in a multitrack project
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 13:45:15 EET

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Luis Pablo Gasparotto wrote:

> I'm trying to mix a chain with 20 tracks with 2 effects each one. I'm
> using a 2.4.22 kernel with Low Latency patch. I've select -B:rt and -r
> and I've increased the buffer size up to 4096 and still have over runs.
> I'm using Ecasound 2.2.3
[...]
> Is this supossed to work without overruns?

What kind of xruns - do you get warnings from 'audioio-db-client' or from
'audioio-alsa'...? In the former case it's the disk i/o subsystem that
cannot keep up, in the latter the kernel/cpu.

You could try to record with:
"-z:db,500000 -z:intbuf -b:1024"
and see if that helps.

> Maybe I'm asking to much of my old Athlon 900 (384mb RAM and 40gb EIDE
> Western Digital HD)

It is possible that some component cannot keep up.