Re: [ecasound] Feature request...

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Feature request...
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 00:12:08 EET

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Bryan Lunt wrote:

> I notice that the only way to make a clip begin playing at a time other
> than 0 is to specify that in a .efw
> This is very inconvinient in terms of writing a front end, as this wil
> require my program to write out files each time the user slides a clip in
> the trackview, it would be very nice, if there where some realtime command
> for that.

Yups, I've had this on my todo-list for a long time. What I've planned is
to add new locator objects (like 'reverse', 'typeselect', and other
special i/o types), that would provide functions currently provided by the
ewf format. But, but, someday, sooner or later, I'll implement this.

But as mentioned by Eric R. already, there is another solution, and that
is to use "ai-set-position" and "ao-set-position" command in the
interactive mode. These can be used to change audio object position
independently from the global chainsetup position. In other words you can
implement all ewf-features using these commands.

For example ecawave uses these commands to implement its copy, cut, paste
and 'apply effect to range' functions.