Re: [ecasound] cs-option -B:*

Subject: Re: [ecasound] cs-option -B:*
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 03:07:12 EET

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Jan Weil wrote:

> interactively fine-tuning a chainsetup most options (e. g. 'cs-option
> -b:64') are applied immediately (as 'cs-status' tells me).
> A 'cs-option -B:rt|nonrt|rtlowlatency' does not take effect immediately
> but after the chainsetup has been connected.
[...]
> Is there any valid reason for this behaviour and could this be changed?

The '-B' option is a special case as it does not set the buffering
parameters, but instead the buffering profile.

The buffering profile (/mode) is separate from the actual chainsetup
parameters. It is used when Ecasound has to determine optimal parameters
for a given chainsetup. Normally Ecasound makes the selection itself, but
this can be overridden by using '-B' (i.e. '-B:rt' -> use real-time
settings even if there are no real-time inputs/outputs).

Another option is to explicitly set all parameters and bypass all the
above. You then need to set: 1) buffersize (number,-b), 2) raised
priority (true/false,-r), 3) sched_priority (number,-r:X), 4) double
buffering (true/false,-z:db), 5) db-bufsize (number,-z:db,X), and 6) max
intbuf (true/false,-z:intbuf).

See ecasoundrc(5) and ecasound(1) for some more details.