Re: [ecasound] configure problems with libsndfile

Subject: Re: [ecasound] configure problems with libsndfile
From: Jan Weil (Jan.Weil_AT_web.de)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 11:58:38 EET

Am 2003.12.10 01:15 schrieb(en) Kai Vehmanen:
[...]
> Many thanks for the patch, but at least at this point, I'd still want
> keep Ecasound free of pkg-config stuff. Pkg-config is a nice tool, but
> it
> has one major drawback - you need to have pkg-config installed. In
> other
> words a new build-system dependency.
>
> For new packages (that anyway require fairly recent libraries and
> tools)
> pkg-config is the way to go, but Ecasound has a lot of compability
> history
> that I'd like to keep. For example, you can compile Ecasound from CVS
> on
> old RH5.x boxes, as well as many old non-Linux machines.

Yes, I'm sure you can.
But if you did so you would miss most of ecasound's more sophisticated
features, unless you also compiled libsndfile|libaudiofile,
libsamplerate, alsa-*, Jack from sources.
And if you compiled these you could and should also compile pkg-config
since most of the above packages use it.
So, while I see your point IMHO pkg-config is a fair price to make the
process of development more convenient.
In the end it's your decision.

Jan