Re: [ecasound] configure problems with libsndfile

Subject: Re: [ecasound] configure problems with libsndfile
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 02:15:09 EET

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Jan Weil wrote:

> building from current cvs failed for me because my libsndfile version
> was too old (SF_FORMAT_HTK was not defined).
> Unfortunately configure did not complain.

Oops, that's a bug that might affect many people.

I put a fix to CVS that disables sndfile support if libsndfile<1.0 is
detected, and fixes compilation against 1.0.0->1.0.4 releases. I quickly
tested all the corner cases (0.0.28, 1.0.0, 1.0.4 and 1.0.5)...

> Since libsndfile uses pkg-config I propose to use the PKG_CHECK_MODULES
> macro to check for the correct version.
[...]
> Generally speaking I'd say pkg-config is the way to go so use it where
> possible.
> It's quite straightforward just have a look at the AUTOCONF MACROS
> section of pkg-config(1).

Many thanks for the patch, but at least at this point, I'd still want to
keep Ecasound free of pkg-config stuff. Pkg-config is a nice tool, but it
has one major drawback - you need to have pkg-config installed. In other
words a new build-system dependency.

For new packages (that anyway require fairly recent libraries and tools)
pkg-config is the way to go, but Ecasound has a lot of compability history
that I'd like to keep. For example, you can compile Ecasound from CVS on
old RH5.x boxes, as well as many old non-Linux machines.

But, but, ..., maybe in a few years we should review this policy again.;)

Btw; Jan, thanks for the note about broken links at http://eca.cx/eci ...
     should be fixed now.