inputs in ecs, output on command line (was: .ecs file format)

Subject: inputs in ecs, output on command line (was: .ecs file format)
From: Jan Stary (jsta6559_AT_artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 14:05:10 EET

Hello,

using the chainsetup file, I can specify how to mix my tracks, where are the
inputs, and where are the outputs. What I would like to do is to specify the
inputs and the mixing options in ecs, and tell the output on a command line.

Why? Because that command line can be called non-interactivelly, from
a script, from a Makefile, and can use variables. So, for example

ecasound $(ECAFLAGS) -s $(SONGNAME).ecs -a:all -o $(SONGNAME).wav

Now, it does not seem to work. If the ecs file says:

-f:16,2,44100
-a:0 -i:drums.wav -ea:100 -epp:30

-f:16,1,44100
-a:1 -i:bass.wav -y:0.1 -ea:70 -erc:1,2 -epp:70
-a:2 -i:guitar1.wav -ea:85 -erc:1,2 -epp:10
-a:3 -i:guitar2.wav -ea:100 -erc:1,2 -epp:90

then the above command results in all the inputs being attached,
all the effecs applied correctly, but output goes to /dev/dsp,
which is the default output, as if I did not specify -o ...

Does this mean that if you feed ecasound with an ecs file, the
remaining cmdline args are ignored? It seems.

Of course, I can append the '-a:all -o filename.wav' to the ecs file,
in which case everything works as expected. But for that, I nedd to know
the NAME of the output file - which might not be known in advance
(as in a generic Makefile, for example).

I believe that when the ecs file reads

-a:1 -i track1.wav
-a:2 -i track2.wav

then a commandline like

$ ecasound -s file.ecs -a:all -o mixed.wav

_should_ mix the two tracks into mixed.wav

Or is it so that the '-a:all -o mixed.wav' is considered to
belong to another chainsetup ('default'), and the
'one-chainsetup-at-a-time' rule applies?

        Thank you

                Jan

:> I can't find an explainantion of the format for .ecs
:Yep, .ecs should be documented better. In any case the format is quite
:straightforward as .ecs files are parsed with the same parser as are
:command-line options. So shortly put: .ecs file is a sequence of
:command-line options. Like when parsing command-line args, order does
:count.