Re: [ecasound] ruby-ecasound was: [ecasound] pyecasound of ecasound 2.3.0 hanging

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ruby-ecasound was: [ecasound] pyecasound of ecasound 2.3.0 hanging
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 21:29:07 EET

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Jan Weil wrote:

> Anyway, you will find my EcaControlInterface class for a recent version
> of Ruby attached which now that I know the problem also works like a
> charm. Even without any sleep() calls :)

Great, seems to work fine on my machine with ruby-1.8.0!

Few notes/questions/etc:

- would you be interested to distribute this yourself or possibly
  include it to the ecasound dist package
     - if to ecasound, we need to add some magic to configure/makefile
       files (i.e. where to install the *.rb files)
- eci.rb currently requires 'logger' which is a non-standard
  (as in: doesn't come by default with ruby)... could this be
  made optional?
- could you write a chapter about ruby ECI to the ECI guide? see
  ecasound/Documentation/programmers_guide/eci_doc.latex or
  http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound/Documentation/programmers_guide/html_ecidoc/index.html
  ... each impl has its own section (basicly one page consisting
  of overview, usage plus one example)

> This is a high level approach as ruby is a high level programming
> language (as python is).
> And this is why I did not implement last_string, last_float, etc.
> Obviously you need these functions for a C-like language but are they
> needed for a dynamically typed scripting language?
[...]
> My 'command' method always returns a value which has the appropriate
> type.
> If an error occurs an exception is raised.

Yes, this is definitely the way to go. Eric Tiedemann did the same for
Python (pyecasound/eci.py does what you describe, the
older ECA_CONTROL_INTERFACE that I wrote is more in C-style).