Re: [ecasound] Metronome problems

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Metronome problems
From: Julian Dobson (juliand_AT_braverock.com)
Date: Sat Nov 01 2003 - 22:44:35 EET

l-ecasound.d.xalan_AT_xoxy.net wrote:

> "Julian Dobson - juliand_AT_braverock.com" writes:
>
>>I take it from this that the metronome uses the sine wave as a trigger
>>for the ticks.
>

> If I understand you and the definition of the metronome preset
> correctly, it's not the trigger, that uses a sine wave. The sine is
> only used to generate the audio signal.

Ah! I see. Then I would suggest either (a) pre-record as wav file for
the tick or (b) pre-generate a wav (using sine) at initialization. In
either case keep the wav file in memory and just playback when needed.
There is no need to generate the wav for every single tick of the
metronome. This might not be cheap in terms of memory, but it's better
than using up CPU cycles. And don't forget, as I've mentioned, if you
pre-generate, you only need one cycle for the sine wave.

> [...]
>
>>(a) Don't use a sine wave - for trigger events, just use a square or
>>triangular wave for instead (triangular would probably be easier to
>>impliment as you use the same test for the trigger as you do for the
>>sine.
>

> I've been thinking about writing a very simple square wave generator
> for the metronome tone. Ok, that would have lots of high frequency
> components, but for a metronome sound I don't care. And a square wave
> should be *extremely* easy to generate :-)

Yes, but it's so.... ugly... I'd record a real metronome's tick and just
play that back each time.