RE: [ecasound] largefile support?

Subject: RE: [ecasound] largefile support?
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 03:59:55 EEST

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Jamie Lutch wrote:

>> What filesystem are you using and what kernel version? For more info, see:
> I am using 2.4.20 kernel (suse 8.2), and I am recording to a FAT32 disk. I
> wonder if that might be the problem. FAT32 has a 4gb limit in windows, but
> it may only be 2GB in linux?

I don't have any hard facts, but I'd guess the Linux vfat driver might not
support largefile mode (i.e. files over 2GB).

> one alternative would be if I could split the incoming spdif stream into two
> mono files, but I'm unsure how to do that. All of the ecasound docs really
> only reference multitrack cards, I dont know how to take L and R out of a
> single spdif stream.

That is possible:

> ecasound -f:s32_le,2,96000,i -z:db,200000 -z-intbuf -i
> sa,hw:PDAudioCF -f:s24_le,2,96000,i -o eca2496.wav -c

ecasound -z:db,200000 -z:intbuf -c \
    -f:s32_le,2,96000,i -a:1,2 -i alsa,hw:PDAudioCF \
    -f:s24_le,1,96000,i \
    -a:1 -o eca2496_ch1.wav \
    -a:2 -erc:2,1 -o eca2496_ch2.wav

>> interoperate with some specific programs, test first. At some point I'll
>> integreate libsndfile support which will provide read/write to real 64bit
>> wav files (the w64 format).
> any idea when this is forecast for? I do my editing in soundforge, which
> works great with .w64's

I can't promise anything, but hopefully soon (possibly already in 2.3.1).