RE: [ecasound] largefile support?

Subject: RE: [ecasound] largefile support?
From: Jamie Lutch (jlutch_AT_altairinc.com)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 22:45:41 EEST

> > i compiled ecasound with largefile support, but am unsure how
> to invoke it.
> > I recorded a .raw file, but it stopped at 2gb as before. is
> there a switch I
> > need to invoke it, or does it only work with particular file formats?
>
> What filesystem are you using and what kernel version? For more info, see:

I am using 2.4.20 kernel (suse 8.2), and I am recording to a FAT32 disk. I
wonder if that might be the problem. FAT32 has a 4gb limit in windows, but
it may only be 2GB in linux?

Ideally I wouldnt use FAT32, but its the only fs that lets me integrate
between linux and windows, where I do my editing. really, 4GB isnt even
enough, I wish i could use NTFS or ext2/3, but both of them have their
issues. I need to have read/write access in both os's. From what I read
about these drivers in the documentation, when you write from the non-native
OS, you risk corruption. I'd haye to lose a whole drive of wav files.

one alternative would be if I could split the incoming spdif stream into two
mono files, but I'm unsure how to do that. All of the ecasound docs really
only reference multitrack cards, I dont know how to take L and R out of a
single spdif stream.

again, i'm using:

ecasound -f:s32_le,2,96000,i -z:db,200000 -z-intbuf -i
sa,hw:PDAudioCF -f:s24_le,2,96000,i -o eca2496.wav -c

is there a way to split the stream like that?

> http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html
>
> Anyway, safest is to record to .raw, but ecasound can also write +2GB date
> to wav files. This is not 100% according to spec, so if you need to
> interoperate with some specific programs, test first. At some point I'll
> integreate libsndfile support which will provide read/write to real 64bit
> wav files (the w64 format).

any idea when this is forecast for? I do my editing in soundforge, which
works great with .w64's