RE: [ecasound] need some buffering advice

Subject: RE: [ecasound] need some buffering advice
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 04:07:04 EEST

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Jamie Lutch wrote:

>> No dithering, but the data is converted from 32bit integers to
>> 32bit float and then back to 24bit integers.
> the question being, is the 24bit file recorded bii-for-bit identical to the
> 24-bit input source? seems so, but I figure I'd ask.

Yes, it should be. I say 'should' as the all the audio data does go
through two conversions (int->float, float->int) and bugs and/or rounding
errors are always possible. Ecasound does have a small test suite for the
conversion routines, so they should be ok, but I don't want to give any
guarantees. If bit-level accuracy is important, you should verify the
results.